Ajna is a strong believer and supporter of the arts in education. Part of our mission is to share the experience of dance and culture with our youth. A workshop, class or course in Indian dance catered to students will introduce a new way form of movement and a new culture; not to mention, keep them fit! We also work with schools to train students to perform at school festivals or shows. Ajna has experience with working in schools in both the UK & US.
Ajna teaches Indian dance (Classical, Bollywood and Bhangra) workshops for students in elementary school all the way to university.
What Can You Expect?
We will tailor our syllabus and instruction to the age of the students and the objective of the course or class. Students will be taught:
- The background and cultural history of dance in India. A brief explanation and demonstration of some key distinct styles and the significance of story-telling through dance. We will explain what Bollywood films are and what Bollywood dance is today.
- A hands on authentic Bhangra and Bollywood dance lesson where we cover the basics and learn choreography. We can also include classical dance instruction.
- Assemblies – 45 minutes each
- Workshops – 45 minutes
- Residencies – Anywhere from 2-10 weeks that conclude with a student performance
- After school workshops – Weekly
Educational institutions that we have partnered with:
- The Fieldston School
- PS 125
- HoLa! Hoboken Dual Language Charter School
- Lakewood Elementary School
- Metropolitan Montessori School
- Horace Mann School
- World Class Learning Academy
- Mott Hall Charter School
- PS 266
- PS 4
- Hommocks Middle School
- Deerfield School
- Iona College
- Hunter College (CUNY)
- Suffolk Community College
- Bank Street School for Children
- Success Academy Fort Greene
To request a quote, for booking & more information please contact us.